Jackson, Michigan is famous for its coney dogs (it is the home of the original coney dog!), and this coney island meat sauce is a favorite of locals!
- 1 1/2 pounds ground (finely) beef heart
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- Brown meat in oil; add spices and enough water to moisten mixture.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally, until mixture is somewhat dry, being careful not to allow it to dry completely and it burns.
- Spoon over hot dogs and top with chopped onion and yellow mustard.